Asked by Anonymous
Asked on 27 Aug 2018
I'm starting work tomorrow at Raffles Place, and the few times I was there I spent more than $12 for meals there. Is there any place that can offer cheaper food? Or should I start bringing in my own meals?
Top Contributor (Jun)
Market Street Temporary Market and Hawker (next to Telok Ayer MRT) - walk 5 minutes
Amoy Street Food cetre - Walk 12 minutes
BYOM is the Cheapest if you can ! :D
Welcome to the new CBD - Central Busiest District! haha!
Also good to pack your own meals. Make it lovely and healthy any way you like.
Haha I am a big fan of cheap and good hawker food. Here's my picks!
1. Hong Lim Food Centre! Many options (and good ones at that) at under $5. Cheap, good, and walkable from Raffles Place!
2. Chinatown Complex (currently under renovations): I am a big fan of the Ikan Bilis Yong Tau Foo that prices their amazingly fresh fish paste YTF at S$3! Alas its under renovations now, but do check it out when its back! A little far from Raffles Place, but still walkable.
3. People's Park Food Centre: Zhen Zhu Fang Roasted Delights has amazing roast pork rice at $3, but again, that place has lots of good food with cheap prices. Of course, snaking queues at the more popular ones.
4. Tanjong Pagar Food Centre: This one is nearer to Tanjong Pagar, and often overlooked due to its more popular Amoy and Maxwell counterparts. But they do have that healthy-ish Spinach Soup for $3.50!
5. Amoy Street Food Centre: Serves hands-down my favourite cup of Teh Halia for $1. Smooth, warming and satisfying. Also served in a glass cup like the traditional shops, so yay for less plastic waste as well! Other food stalls here include the two very popular fish soup stalls, but not cheap at all.
I vote 100% Amoy food center haha.
We worked there for around 6 months? And we were lucky to be in between Maxwell and Amoy. But overtime, if you really think of both value for money and delicious food, there is no better place than amoy!
Maxwell was more touristy largely due to the chicken rice shop (but it's pretty legit) but overall prices there abit more expensive.
MARKET STREET is my fav hahaha...
Half a chicken with 2 plates of rice is just S$10 bucks. Comfortable meal for 2 guys hahaha.
If not, the chicken rice starts from S$2.50 per plate
Dont worry, there are hawker centres, food courts and coffee shops even at raffles place! I'm sure you'll have colleagues that eat cheap lunches too and they'll probably bring you ard. Some places for cheap-ish food in the CBD:
Hawker centres: telok ayer mrt, amoy st and maxwell rd, lao pat sat
Food courts: Asia square lvl 2, shenton house Lvl 2, Clifford centre basement, Arcade level 1
Coffee shops: Philip street, McCallum street