07 Jun 2019
My highest qualification is local diploma and have been working full time and job hop around since I've graduated.
You might want to mention what is your field.
There are some fields where having a degree does not necessary matter.
Generally the answer is yes.
View 2 replies
Questions for you:
1) What is your current salary and if you stay long in the industry without a degree - on mere experience alone - can your salary go up multifold?
2) Do you have any side hustles?
3) Can you qualify for local uni?
4) Are you a hustler, resourceful and heavy networker?
Considerations for each question:
1) Some jobs pay very well regardless of your education qualifications. Deliver the results and you get paid handsomely
2) If your side hustles can potentially get you out of a 9-5, or you know how to trade, you can look at using that as your safety net. But mind you - trading for income (or side hustle) with a stable job and without have very different effects on your psychology.
3) Until its proven in the HR world (pulbic and private), local unis are more recognised and much more heavy subisidized.
4) Asking for help/mentorship, being likeable and helping others can get you through tough times. If you are introvert and dont plug yourself into a community actively, investing and 2) is a very lonely process.
5) if your reason to succeed is not strong, you cannot last through tough times. If it's just money and returns on investments, remember 80/20. 80 percent of the results are borne by the top 20 percent of the pple.
Closing thoughts: the best returns are the investments made to yourself. A degree (from a good school), not only give you academic knowledge but a good network, crticial thinking and skills to navigate globally.
Although i did not use it for a corporate career myself, ive seen many of my peers using it to launch of careers that has salaries jump multifold and now poached for CFO, CEO roles in bigger SMEs. And they invest. Maybe think 'how can I do both?' vs 'this or that?'
All the best!
10 Nov 2018
Undergraduate at National University of Singapore
I've had the same thoughts before and I feel that you should get a degree first as it serves as a sa...
Read 1 other comments with a Seedly account
You will also enjoy exclusive benefits and get access to members only features.
Sign up or login with an email here
Write your thoughts