Asked on 14 Nov 2019
Eg I have flights + hotels for my upcoming trip that is happening in Jan 2020, with my DBS CC. But in Dec 2019, I had wanted to cancel this DBS CC.
And so, my question will be, will there be any issues during my trip where services may ask me for CC details etc (I can present with the physical card but the account is not there), or should I cancel it after my trip/ book the above with another CC instead?
P.S: Apologize if this is a noob question.
Yes, it is true that some hotels will explicitly request for an authorization hold with the credit card that you booked with, but it is not a rule set in stone.
In such a case it might be better to reach out to the hotel directly to pre-empt them and explain the situation. However, for an authorization hold, the hotel is usually able to accept any credit card, or even cash.
For flights, I've yet to see an airline request that I present my credit card that was used for the booking, so I will not think that there will be issues there.
It depends on your flight and hotel booking’s policy.
The best way to do this is to call up the respective services and check with them.
If payment has been made in full, there shouldn’t be any problem.
If payment has not been made yet, check if there is a way to update your card information so that the transaction can take place. (E.g. through their portal)
In most cases, flights do not need any form of deposit, so you should be fine.
For hotels, deposit is usually made at the point of check-in. Additionally, you can use a different card for deposit. Therefore, you should be fines well.
On the whole, I will suggest for you to check with the respective services first. Do not cancel your bookings - in case price changes or if the booking becomes full.
For accommodation, if you are using booking.Com, you can easily amend the credit card details anytime. So you can cancel the card, but just remember to update in your booking details to another card.
In opinion what I will do is:
1) Check the respective hotel and flight company whether full transaction was make or check the credit card transaction.
2) If none are make, you can request them to deduct other credit card. / If yes, then you can go ahead cancel the credit card.
To be safer, I would recommend to cancel your credit card after your trip. So that, you don't have to worry abt whether is it deducted for your trip.
It really depends on the hotel booking policy, so unless you have a really urgent reason to cancel the card early, it's safest to just hold it til after the trip. You could also try to rebook your hotel if you're able to get the same or better deal :)
Show More Products