Asked by Anonymous

What other options do I have apart from hospitalization insurance?

I am currently on IncomeShield Plan B and was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism (Grave's disease) in Jan 2016. However, due to my secondary diagnosis of atrial fibrillation as a result of Hyperthyroidism, a friend advised that I have a high chance of being rejected in my attempt to upgrade my hospitalization coverage as the chances of relapse and linkages to something serious are high. I underwent an ECG today and results were normal. Are there any alternatives I can explore?

Share this
Answer this question
Write your answer

Answers (3)

Sort by:
Most Upvote
  • Most Recent
  • Most Upvote
    • Charmaine Lim Xiaomei
      Charmaine Lim Xiaomei, Software Engineer at Seedly
      14 Answers, 47 Upvotes
      Answered 2w ago

      Based on my experience, most insurers will allow you to upgrade your current hospitalisation plan / purchase riders but with an exclusion clause for thyroid & its related health issues. Once you are fully discharged by your doctor, you may try to appeal with your insurer to remove the exclusion (though I was advised by my agent that the success of such appeal is very low). However, if you decided to stick with your current plan, you will still be able to claim for Hyperthyroidism and Atrial Fibrillation.

      If you hold a full time job at the moment, do look at your company insurance as most corporate insurance covers pre-existing / existing / new health condition. PS: I have Grave's disease too and am currently claiming from my company's insurance for my regular outpatient visits (blood test, consultation and medications).

      (non-finance related) Lastly, would recommend you to:

      1. drink green tea daily! Doing so has shown great effects in helping me to lower my resting heart rate from 115-120 to 90-100
      2. include one spoon of extra virgin olive oil in your daily diet as it has been shown in many reports to help protect your heart
      3. get a fitness tracker so that you can track your heartrate
      Comments (1)
      Share this
    • Yixiong Chang
      Yixiong Chang

      Top Contributor (Dec)

      170 Answers, 225 Upvotes
      Answered 3w ago

      Who diagnosed u with atrial fibrillation? A single basic ECG might not be able to detect, AF doesnt manifest itself often. You will need to be placed on Holter monitor for longer period monitoring.

      Please msg me on my fb, there are still many questions i need to ask. Not suited to talk in public.

      Comments (0)
      Share this
    Gabriel Tham
    Gabriel Tham, Kenichi Tag Team Member at Tag Team

    Top Contributor (Dec)

    392 Answers, 707 Upvotes
    31 Dec 2018

    try consulting with an agent. If results normal, no relapse, maybe get a medical report that you are all ok, you might be able to apply.

    Sign Up or Log In here
    Sign in now to unlock 1 more answer to this question!
    Sign In with Facebook

Manage your money for free today!

Download on the App StoreGet it on Google Play
  • Quick overview
    Quick overview of your bank and card transactions.
  • Secure syncing
    Secure syncing of your bank or credit cards transactions
  • Automatic categorization
    Automatic categorization and analysis for your expenses
Seedly app