AMA The Woke Salaryman
Asked on 23 Sep 2020
He Ruiming, Co-Founder at The Woke Salaryman
Top Contributor (Sep)
Answered on 23 Sep 2020
So I'm like you, I started out with a $2,700 salary in 2014.
I got it up to $3,200 in 2015 by aggressively asking for it and meeting my KPIs and becomiing a vaulable member of the team.
By 2017, it was around $4,500.
In 2018, I got headhunted whch brought my salary up to almost $8,000.
I can't share what has changed since then due to respect to my (former) employers, but the key is really to be good at your job, deliver the results, and consistently and methodically ask for a salary increment.
I believe the top 20% of professionals in any given industry are paid more than the remaining 80% combined.
I've known creatives in advertising who're paid five figures in their late 20s/early 30s.
Starting asking for raises during your reviews if you want to stick to your current company. Otherwise, start looking for a new employer as changing jobs will give you more increments than raises. Of course, this assumes that you've been pulling your weight and performing for the past years.
I have started out in media recently and I realised that this entry level roles generally do not require high skill level (e.g. media planning,creatives, activation)and therefore don't warrant high pay + some guy in India/Poland/Russia can do the same mechnical tasks cheaper than us.
Would suggest for us to expand into other avenues like analytics within the media industry that generally has a higher pay in comparison to similar jobs.
Otherwise, another way is to grind it out and get promoted to manager and director levels by working very very hard and building connections with the directors.
Last way is to get side projects to increase allowances by using what you learn in media to help other businesses for a fee as a consultant.
Welcome to the media industry - let's keep working hard and smart and prove our worth, the salary increments will roll in
Build your network with headhunters via LinkedIn. I started my job with only $2.3k back in 2014 as well too. But have since changed a few jobs and bumped my salary too.
do remember that for your first few years of your career, youre still learning the ropes to get experience. Thus your value might not be optimal yet. But once you have a good track record, your experience and value will increase.
don't be too affected by how much your peers earns because who knows, you might be earning more than them eventually! Work satisfaction is an underrated thing. I would rather be earning slightly lesser but be extremely happy with my work environment and what I do. :) good luck!
I work in the media industry as well, and started with a 2.3k pay without CPF. I think the best thing you can do is to always improve yourself, be open to learning new things, and you’ll become a valuable member of the team. In this way, you can confidently ask for a higher pay during a review.
Don’t be afraid to try for other companies if you see better opportunities.
You are already very privileged.
for year 2020/2021, just stay in the game is already very good.
how do you know your peers are not blowing their top just to "look good"?
anyway, to increase your "pay", I would recommend to widen breadth with multiple income streams instead..
historical salary trends are based on past market. Not today where we are in the deepest recession since "Great Depression".