Asked by Anonymous
Gonna study business in NTU this coming August. Applied for scholarship but with poor A-level results, I doubt I might be able to get it. Heard of tuition fee subsidies which might help in a way. Many thanks to all the valuable advices in advance!
Here are a few tips that I can think of right off the bat:
1) Find a part-time gig such as private tuition; I currently have two tutees and the fees are enough to cover my weekly expenses
2) Adopt the habit of not spending money on soft drinks; I think this one way you can cut down on your expenses without feeling like you are compromising on your lunch! A little goes a long way
3) Apply for scholarships/bursaries
4) Get into the habit of tracking your expenses; it creates accountability and subconsciously compels you to save more money
5) Go for school-based surveys/experiments; they usually reimburse you with a small sum of money for your time! It's a good way to earn a quick buck in between your lessons!
6) If you stay in hall/dormitory, minimise expenditure on food by eating in the dining hall more often
7) Apply for internships over the holidays; you gain both experience and allowance
8) Utilise school facilities such as the gym so that you won't need to spend it on external facilities
Hope that helps, and all the best for your future endeavors in NTU! :)
Here's what I did:
That was in a nutshell my life throughout my uni years. I would study from 12am to 3am for exams, sleep, then wake up to get to 830am class the next morning, and do my internship job remotely between lectures, then give private tuition from 7-10pm. Then I would have dinner, head home, and start studying again to 3am.
Thankfully it paid off - I got enough to cover my tuition fees, my living expenses and also with some savings left over!
Hi! You can consider giving tuition. They are very lucrative!
If you have any talents, such as design/piano/etc, you can consider teaching in these areas too!
Alternatively, pick up a skill, such as life saving or photography, and then get a job related to it!