Asked on 07 Sep 2018
Taobao 11.11 is coming up really soon!
HC Tang, Financial Enthusiast, Budgeting at The Society
Answered on 07 Sep 2018
Personally, my fav is still TaoBao due to largest supplier, variety and lowest possible price!
I started on 11th Nov, has the most deals and coupons (like Q10) but expect ETA about 1.5 months!!!
Here are few of my tips that I use whenever I shop at Taobao:
English reader use Google translate for your easy understanding.
Upload / Take pic of your item (using the camera icon) for easy search in the billions of items.
Always read User Review. They have Q&A, User Showcase (pic/video) and user review.
a) Review can be fake ! (Paid by merchants to do fake review) but the pic / video is worth a 1000 words! See it for yourself, check the real item pic share / showed by past buyers to be safe of design/colour and some cases, the quality.
b) Read seller review: But take it as a pinch of salt since it can be fake. I'll usually choose those where many people buy from them, so that should be quite safe since many buyers bought from them.
Happy Treasure Hunt (Taobao!) Cheers!
This is what I do personally, just sharing~
Know your dates! 9/9, 10/10, 11/11, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Christmas, CNY! Share them with your kakis at work or who usually hang out with. Offer to help purchase to earn cashback.
Snap it! Snap picture of whatever you see of interest; especially if you are interesed to get one. Today I saw a digital keyless letterbox lock.. so intrigued by my neighbour's novelty I'm actually 'researching' on taobao/shoppee etc. With a picture you can very quickly find what you need. I usually 'favorite' these pictures and know what I'm going to buy, the highest price I'd pay for before I go into the 'arena'.
Be flexible! Plan your trip but with flexibility. Confirm the dates but be flexible about where you are staying and you can snag a good deal when cashback is high or around shopping peak season! I know people who gets everything done at one go - it's not wise for the wallet. Just purchased return flights on dreamliner to Bangkok @ total $212 including airport taxes; return checkin luggage of 25kg and priority boardings. #hint: use NTUC-scoot promo.. now they have 20% off till 11 Sep. Which brings me to my next point...
Stack your hacks. I also got 10% discount from booking.com genius member & 9% cashback from shopback app and a 1.5% cashback from my stand chart unlimited credit card. More savings? Yay!
CSI/research your prey. Check through what are the alternatives. Sometimes you don't need the real stuff that costs so much more because you're only paying more for the brand. Check the difference in ingredients, materials and price. Check through product & seller ratings; make sure you look into the complaint portions and compliments. Many ratings without comments = dubious; so do great ratings and short comments. Look for pictures for proofs and check what are the pain point.
Get it in the cart then leave it alone. Thinking to get something but cannot make up your mind? Sign up to the newsletters/as a member, log in and put the item in the cart without checking out. In less than 48 hours you will see price drop on the said item and a email telling you "the price has dropped!" Ya... this is how it works.
7. Compare! If using Amazon, use camelcamelcamel.com. It's a website that tracks the price on Amazon and will pull up the historical prices of which the item was sold at. Sometimes I uses their popular items tab or top price drops just to pass time. You wouldn't want to be buying something at the peak of their price.. Similarly if travelling can use skyscanner.com, hotels.com, bookings.com, trivago or DBS price matcher (for dbs/posb cards only though). I also open multiple private tabs to check for lazada/qoo10/shoppee for similar product price.
9. Buy gift cards. Sometimes I'd get gift cards from say, fuzzie.com when its on sales. Because gift cards in general are regard as cash, they are allowed to be stacked most of the time (read T&C before you purchase!). Meaning you can get a discounted gift card at -15%, then buy something on offer at -20%, google online for a -5% promo/use shopback app and still get a -1.5% by using a cashback card (in my case stand chart unlimited). Just be strategic when you buy and know that you can utilize it.
Clear your browser cookies and viola! Suddenly prices are lower. Yes, websites tracks what you're interested in and they jack up the price. Clear your cookies after your research and you will have prices as though it's never changed in the first place. Supply and demand works well here.
Get samples or ask for directly. Sometimes you just don't seems to find any promo codes for the items you want. What I'd do is facebook msg the merchant and ask if they have discounts or promo going on. Most of the time they'd let you know approximately when they'd have the promo and you can mark your date or some would be outright awesome and send you a promo code. Ask and you shall be given... We had a road trip booking and we were set on a smaller vehicle (due to hefty price tag) when it's out of stock on the dates of rental! The officer told me the only available one is the bigger one and/or choose others which doesn't really suit our criterias well.. when I spoke to the man about we really liking the bigger vehicle proposed but the price is what's stopping us.
He gave us a free upgrade immediately. That's at least $700 AUD savings!!
Hope this helps! :)
1) Utilise Shopback to get cashback (if applicable)
2) Pay with your credit card that gives you rebate
3) Use DBS PriceMatcher to search for the same item with the lowest price
4) Compare between different shopping platforms (Qoo10, Shopee, Lazada etc.)
5) See which platform has coupons which you can utilise to further lower the price
Put all your items in wishlist before the sale
When the sale comes, check which one has discount!
Also, compare across platforms to see if the same item is cheaper or free delivery.
Use Shopback for more savings! Use Special Credit card promo for even more savings!
Here are some tips to do online shopping like a pro!
As you know today online shopping is very common and you can save big on your shopping if you know how to use cashback, coupon and rewards giving websites.
Search for brand coupons or cashback which you want to buy. For eg: taobao coupon code
You will definately find some websites which provides cashback or coupons for the brands you want to buy
Copy the coupon code and use it when you go to check out page or if you are going for cashback then click on the cashback link provided by the website
With these 3 steps you can save a lot on you shopping. For more tips and hacks on online shopping, visit TrendinBuzz
I just started Taobao few months ago! So addictive!!
Recently I got bored with the Taobao Direct Shipping n Consolidate Shipping methods n upgraded to use 3rd Party Consolidate n Shipping! 1cubic metre of shipping to SG is only 90sgd!! 180 days free consolidation.. My wife is loving it.. Every few months I am getting my restock! Haha
I got all this info from this digital Taobao Guide available on FB @taobaoguide where u can learn all the 'tricks' n 'secrets' to shopping on Taobao.. See https://www.facebook.com/taobaoguide/
Hope this help!
Never and ever buy something from online stores blindly without checking for the coupons, offers because the half the cost may get down just by applying a coupon at the checkout page.
Check some of the points that you should try before purchasing -
Check the products
Products availability in different sites
Compare the offers, coupons available
Check for additional advantages added like, cashback or the special discounts on paying with apps, cards and other
Make sure to grab the max discount on the purchase of products
Get the best discount on the purchase of products
Check for the latest coupons, offers at the coupons website Rezeem
1) if you are going to spend big, apply for a credit card via gobear/singsaver/moneysmart
Go for those that are giving free money or rewards for sign up bonus
2) ensure that you have a list of items that you want to buy
3) find the products from the various shopping sites and track the url of these products
4) look for banks promotions for the various shopping sites
5) check regularly on shopback for various upsized cashback or promo codes
6) follow the shopping sites facebook, instagram and sign up for their email list to be aware of any promotions or discounts
7) use shopback to get cashback from the shopping sites.
Above are some of the tips i have for shopping online. i have other more tips written here as well https://justbeingernest.blogspot.com/2017/03/smart-online-shoppers.html
What I do personally: Stack everything with ShopBack and a good online rebate credit card! (to get additional Cashback). I use the BOC family card. Interested to know your tips also and hacks to help all the fellow Seedly community contributors!
Always curious to know my fellow community tips and hunts this coming 9.9, 10.10, 11.11 and of cos black Friday and cyber Monday.
Some reference: (If i'm not wrong, please correct me)
9.9: Shopee and ShopBack birthday
10.10: Qoo10 special day (birthday if i'm not wrong)
11.11: Singles Day (OMG this one is the best, Taobao and Lazada etc)
23.11: Black Friday and Cyber Monday (random US shops who would put up deals for all of us)
12.12: Online craze
Christmas and new year sales: I think as always got sales online also